Question

dc8806

Should I get lots of credit cards NOW, since my age of credit history is already low?
I recently got a Chase Sapphire Preferred card, this tanked my average age of credit history since I was only at 3 years with one card to begin with. Should I go ahead and really kill my average age so it is uniformly better in the future? Or let my age build with the cards I have and continue to have a low number of open accounts?

I also have a very low number of accounts, which I want to build as well.

Most Helpful Response

Don't apply for too much credit at once, it will hurt your credit score and you'll most likely get denied for new offers because it will make you look like a high credit risk to lenders. If your going to apply - do it in moderation (once or twice a year) or when you actually need credit. Use your current accounts to build credit history, simply using your cards and paying them off builds history (don't let accounts go inactive).

dc8806

Thank you very much for your response. But, won't it affect me negatively later, and also "reset" my score by adding cards later? As opposed to just getting them now and holding on to them to build the history all at once?