Question

dah2747

Should I fix my credit report first or use the car loan recommendations?
Hello everyone,

I am currently paying a ton on my car loan. I saw some recommendations that Credit Karma gave me that will cut my monthly payments in half. However, I have some late payments (for the same thing) on my credit report. Should I somehow get these off of my credit report first, or should I take the Credit Karma recommendation, cut my payments in half, and catch up that way?

Thank you.

Most Helpful Response

With late pays

You may not qualify for a new loan, Even if CK recomends them.  Those recomendations are what pay for the site, even if you can't really qualify.

I suggest that you always get your Credit Report cleaned up before applying for any new credit. 

Also Know your score before you apply.  You want it as close to or above 700 as possible,  For the best rates you want it above 720 and closer to 750.  

The late pays will stay on your report. It is very difficult to get a company to change those becuase they will have to pay to change the reported items on your Credit Report.  It's part of your history. Fortunately, they will have less effect on your score the older they get.

dah2747

Ahhhh I see. Thank you for clearing that up. So the next step would be to use the credit clean up suggestions that CK gave me before I try anything else. Also, would getting a secured credit ard help give me the boost that I require? And if you have any other ideas for cleaning up my credit report, could you tell me? Thank you.