Question

jflizzle457

Should I file bankruptcy or attempt to pay off debt?
I have approximately $16,000 of debt. It is all either medical bills or dumb stuff like cell phone companies, utility companies, etc. NO credit card debt.

I am trying to decide whether I should file for bankruptcy (chapter 7), or attempt to start paying things off.

I do not own a home, currently live with parents, making around $30,000/yr. No car payment (paid off), and do not pay rent.

A little more info...

My goal is to be able to purchase a home as quickly as possible - rental rates are too high and I can't live with my parents forever.  I would be a first time home buyer.

Filing bankruptcy is not going to give you good credit, but neither is letting these negative accounts pile up on your reports. If you make thirty grand a year, own your car and live with your parents I don't think a judge will find it acceptable for you to file bankruptcy. You could consult with a bankruptcy attorney to be sure though. I would say, put off buying the house for a year and really buckle down and get these debts taken care of. Do some reading on "pay for delete agreements" in addition to every article that you can find time to read on credit.