Question

saraMay30

should i dispute reports from 5 years ago?
i have several accounts that have been charged off that i settled with the credit people and paid off less than the balance. this was about 5 years ago. i did not know i should have asked them to remove it from my report. should i dispute it on my report in hopes it will fall off? my score is 590 and i need some help!

If there isn't any inaccurate information on the accounts, then disputing may not be the best idea. I have heard only a few stories of success of disputing old negative accounts and getting a removal. Often times old accounts like this have not updated in a long time and when you dispute an old account, the account will update and that causes the account to look fresh to the scoring system which results in a score decrease. I advise that you do some serious reading and contemplation on doing a dispute before you go forward with it.

I also forgot to mention, when you are at a dead end with cleaning up credit reports, that is a good time to focus on current accounts. If you have to get some Secured credit cards and start putting some positive history on your reports.