Question

kmacnme

Should I continue to make the minimum payment on my credit card
I have a credit card through my credit union that has been maxed out to 10K. I am going through a financial struggle right now, and it is hard to maintain even the minimum payment. But, I don't know whether I should let the credit union close the account and pay them a lower monthly payment for a year to bring the balance down, or keep it open and just try to make the minimum payment. I am already late with my payment, which was due on the 20th, but can probably make a payment next month.

So, I wonder if it's best to try and at least make the minimum payments, and bring the balance down on my own (which will take a few years) or let it go. It seems like either way, my credit score will suffer because of the time it will take to bring the balance down to 30% of the max. But, I had been keeping up the minimum payments up to this point, despite being still being maxed out. This made me think I should continue to do so because it would look favorable on my credit report.

First, let your credit union know about your financial situation because they may have suggestions to help.  Stop charging on the card. Why dig yourself in deeper? If the struggle is due to reduction of work, then they may have some way to assist.  If it is due to over-spending, they may be able to give advice on how to correct this.  And your goal should be to keep usage at 9% or lower on credit cards.  Notify all creditors on your financial issues when there is trouble and you may find them quite helpful since doing so benefits both of you.