Question

Kedwards0905

Should I contact a second collection agency on a closed account?
I had a debt from Discover CC, it was turned to Credit Solutions of America. Years ago I was working with CS to resolve the debt. Credit Solutions closed down and I never heard from them again. My Discover card is reported closed on my report. Years later, almost 7 I received a letter from another collection agency asking for the Discover balance. Do I contact this 2nd agency or no?

I wouldn't.  In most states, the statute of limitations for collections is 6 years or less (you can do a search for yourself if you want).  I'm guessing this "collector" is what is known as a "junk debt buyer" who buys old debts and tries to collect hoping people are stupid and willing to pay.

If you haven't checked all three credit reports in the past year, you may want to get them (try to do this every year to make sure all information is correct) from annualcreditreport.com.  Look those over very carefully and dispute all wrong information with the credit bureau reporting it. Likely this debt will not be on those reports and the reports also show the date the debt is due to fall off.