Question

mmcaulif

Should i close oldest credit card since it is inactive and showing no credit amount anyways?
It is an old Burdines/Macy's account. I haven't used it in approx 13 years. When I called them they said it was closed due to inactivity, and I will never have access to it again. I would have to reapply with them. I understand that if I close my oldest account showing on my credit report that it could bring down my points. But it does not show a credit limit anyways, so it this still the case? Is this old account with no limit showing hurting me in anyway or just helping me? Thanks in advance.

Most Helpful Response

It's closed, it's gone.

Since the store closed the account for inactivity, it is closed, period.  Nothing more for you to do but cut up the card and throw it in the trash.

No dont Close Old Account

You never want to close your old accounts, because they help contribute with your overal credit established history and worthyness.

"If you need assistance in Credit Repair or Building Scores Rapidly you can use a company like Debt Free League, visit them online and give the a call."

Its closed, so nothing can be done about it. As a general note, do not close your oldest accounts, unless they are really a big pain (even if they are, try solving the problem than closing them). Account closure with decrease your average length of open accounts, which hurts your score. Though this account is done, please check your next 'oldest account'. Makes sure that those don't get closed for similar reasons. Keep some activity intermittently (at least every 3-6 months) to keep these guys active.