Question

QuackingEnginerd

Should I close my newest Credit Cards?
I recently fell for the store credit cards that save you $$ when you first open them. Usually I am really good about denying them, but had a lapse in judgement and fell for it twice a couple months apart. I have had these cards about a year now, but have not used them once.
Im 25 and have only been building credit for about 5 yrs. I have 2 credit cards that I use, and from time to time use my oldest credit card to make sure it stays open.
Of these 2 new cards, one seems to be reporting a "OK" standing and the other doesn't seem to report anything. Should I cancel these 2 new cards that I never use or let them stay open to build credit history?

Most Helpful Response

Since you have several cards it may not hurt to bad to close one. I would close the 1k one first if you are to close any. Wait a month or two to see how your credit reacts before contemplating on closing the other one. Don't forget to check your FICO scores from time to time.

The 3 cards I will definitely be keeping have a CL of $12k each, where as the two store cc have a CL of $6k and $1k. I have good credit 750+ and none of my cards have annual fees and I always pay them off on time to prevent paying interest.