Question

Bkapchin

Should I close credit card accounts before I apply for consolidation loan?
Every time I try to apply for a consolidation loan I am told my debt is too high and I do not qualify, my debt is about $8000

Most Helpful Response

Jwsister is correct.  If you close your accounts with a balance on your credit cards you will hurt your score and it would be much harder to get a loan.  You need to pay down your loans.  I dont know much about Dave Ramsey but I do hear that, that is a good way to go.  I would also suggest not carring a balance.  Credit cards are just loans and not extra money.  It is important to always remember that. 

Now with that said in general credit companies don't really like to loan money to people who need it (Again high utilization) So you might need to pay down your cards till your under 50%  If you have more then one card then pay down the one with the highest interest.  This is costing you the most money. 

Any time you close a credit account, you hurt your credit score.  Please re-read the articles provided here so you can refresh your memory.  And, apparently your income is not very high, which might be why you are being denied.  In that case, I do suggest searching for Dave Ramsey's site and follow his advice on debt repayment.