Question

sbrafa

Should I close a Slate card that gave me a low credit limit to balance transfer?
Today I opened a Chase Slate card hoping for a high enough credit limit to allow me to transfer 15-20K from another card, but they only gave me 3.5K. I'm not sure what to do with that actually so I'm wondering if I should close the card before I get it, or continue to shop around, or keep paying my current card. Thoughts?

Most Helpful Response

You must have very good to excellent credit to have received the Chase Slate card. Don't cancel it, but transfer what you can. 

That being said, you have too much debt on your cards, and you're paying too much interest. Anytime you pay interest, it's wasted money except on a mortgage loan where you can deduct the interest if you file long form on your taxes. Perhaps you can obtain a personal loan to pay off your credut cards. 

Otherwise a few people here recommend Dave Ramsey's formula for getting out of debt.  That's the "snowball method".

If you want to get out of debt as cheaply as possible, list your debts from highest interest rate to lowest. Make the minimum monthly payment on each, but throw all your extra cash at the highest-interest debt. This is sometimes called the debt "avalanche" method of repayment.

This strategy is the cheapest because when you’ve paid off all your debts, you will have paid the least amount of interest overall compared with other strategies.

Stop using your credit cards until you get these paid off. Never charge more than you can pay off monthly, so you're not paying interest.  Also, read all the articles here to educate yourself further.

sbrafa

I called them this morning and they couldn't increase my line unless they ran another credit inquiry which I was not in the mood for. So I decided to cancel the card this morning after talking to an agent. I'll start paying big chunks on my existing card and just look to another card in a year or so.

johnnybinsea

it still would have been better to leave it open and move what you could have over to the slate.  At least that much you would not have been paying interest on.  You had already taken the hit for applying for the card and you already messed up your avg. age of accounts.  Next time you open a account make sure it is a account you want to keep open for awhile.  You are only hurting yourself by opening and close accounts.