Question

abg1986

Should I close a credit card with late payments and apply for a new card
I have 5 late payment in the 3 year history of my Capital One card. My credit score is good enough now to qualify for a better card with a higher spending limit through a different credit provider. Should I get the new card that would give me a better credit utilization percentage and pay off/close the Capital One card with late payments? Will the late payments continue to affect my score once the card is closed?

Do Not Close card!!!

If you can get the better credit limit card, great!!  Just do not be foolish enough to close and cancel the other card due to the late payment record.  YOU made the late payments and have to live with that history until it falls off in about 7 years.  The time you have [had this card and the credit limit you were given [all can add to your credit score because the more available credit you have, the better.  Please consider re-reading the articles here to refresh your credit knowledge.