Question

MedicFR31

Should I close a credit card
I have a cc that has been open about 2 years. I keep a low balance but it has a $99.00 fee a year fee. I have the opportunity to open a cc with no annual fee. Should I close the first card as to not have a larger amount of debt to income and save myself the $99/year?

Close Card

I would first call the card issuer and ask to have the fee waived. No ask, no get. If they won't I would look at your number of open accounts and if you have a sufficient number of them and they have some age to them, I'd dump that card like a hot potato. The positive history will remain on your account for an additional 10 years but will be listed on your report as a closed account. Hope this helps and best of luck!