Question

mtreanor2208

Should I cancel my store credit cards?
I currently have excellent credit. I do however have several store credit cards I have collected over the years. Would it hurt my credit score to cancel them?

Most Helpful Response

It could.

If each card carries a credit limit, you could have a drop in your credit score because whatever amount that credit limit is would no longer be part of your available credit.  The higher credit scores have high amounts of available credit showing as one of the factors.

You could keep those credit cards in a locked box and only occasionally use them to keep your credit active (pay them off at the next statement).  That way you could keep your credit score higher.

Choice, of course, is up to you.