Question

ldsoderb

Should I call and lower my available credit?
I have a large amount of availalbe credit but zero debt. I have a "C" rating because of it. Should I call my creditors and ask them to lower my available credit?

Most Helpful Response

if you don't use it you'll lose it. compaies will close your accounts after so long of inactiity... this will kill your score. keep your utilization below 20%. you can lower your limits but I wouldn't recommend it. 

NO Closing them will lower your score.

When you need that credit you will want it there.  

To raise that "C" to an "A" start using that credit. 

If you have multiple cards, start using one card a month for things your are paying cash for now. Groceries, Gas etc., paying it off every month. Doesn't need to be a lot, just show some activity.

I have older cards that I got for the 0% promo that has now expired.  I put a recurring monthly charge on them,  my Netflix,  Electric Bill, Monthly Donation to PBS etc. and pay it off every month.  Something that I will be paying anyway, and put the cards away not using them for anything else but keeping them open in case of an emergency.  

Remember that the score is a rating of "How well you manage your credit"  So not using it doesn't show good management. 

Good Luck