Question

bsullivan1983

Should I bother paying off a debt that Credit Karma does not list as being in collections?

... a little more information!

On one Credit Karma page, it shows that I have no accounts in collections, yet I am receiving letters from First National Collection Bureau (for First Premier Bank card) showing that it was "Sent for Collection." The account was opened 10/1/2008 and it says "Last Reported - Apr 28, 2012. The card only had a $250 limit and my balance with interest is $447. It says it was a Collection/Charge-Off. First National Collection Bureau is offering a settlement of 50%. Should I respond to this letter or will it lower my credit score? Should I pay it? I don't want my score to drop anymore and I'd like to raise it and get approved for a car loan here shortly. Any help would be appreciated. 

Also, has anyone heard of ACS? I am receiving texts from them on my cell phone about an old debt (that is also not listed as being in collections) for Credit One Bank. It says to respond "YES" if you want information so I finally responded with "YES" today but I haven't called to speak with anyone. Will this lower my credit score? Should I deal with these people? Should I pay this debt? 

what matters is when the account was first late.  last reported means nothing.  If you pay it. it will make the debt appear recent and likely lower your score and stay for another 7 years on your report.  offering to make a payment may also reset the statute of limitations for your state and allow them to sue longer if you make payments and then stop.

you could try a pay in full for delete if the creditor would agree to it.  some will some wont.  having it marked settled means the bank lost money. even marked paid will make it recent and effect your score.  so pay for delete is the best option if its a more recent debt.  or letting it fall off 7 years from first late may be an option if its older and outside statute of limitations in your state.. 

sorry just noticed you said its not on your report.  in that case there is no benefit to paying them especially if you are outside of statute of limitations in your state.

ACS owes you now

Under the TCPA (Telephone Consumer Protection Act) a debt collector is not allowed to call or text your cell phone. Keep evidence of this with digital photos (date,time,number texting) and keep a record. I am not sure if you may have agreed to further texts from them by entering "yes" so I don't know if any texts from here on out will count against them, a consumer attorney that deals with this could give you further information. The law states that they will have to pay you between $500 and $1500 per text or per call. They have probably also violated the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA).

As far as the first part of your questions I think CreditGeek already answered them.