Question

MKC0817

Should I be removed as an authorized user?
I'm trying to quickly restore my credit after bankruptcy. It is my goal to raise my credit score to at least 700 within the next 18 months (I'm in the low 600s right now). After recently pulling my credit I realized I'm still showing as an authorized user on one of my ex-husbands cards. The card has no negative history but the balance to limit ratio is quite high (90% utilization). He is paying it but not focusing on paying it down right now. I thought I should have myself removed but I hesitate as it has history since 2008. If I remove it I won't have any open accounts with a long history (aside from a few student loans). I do have one credit card open on my own that has no balance and helps offset his, but it still looks like I'm using about 65%. I don't know which is better, the history or getting my utilization ratio down? Any thoughts?

Most Helpful Response

KEEP IN MIND SHOULD HE MISS A PAYMENT EVEN ACCIDENTALLY YOUR SCORE WILL BE AFFECTED AS WELL NEGATIVELY but other the that allison is 100% correct

Credit history (how long the account has been open) counts for 15% of your credit score, payment history counts for 35%, and utilization counts for 30%.  You'll lose the credit and payment history, but your utilization will be better.  You'll have to decide which is more important.