Question

BrokeCollegeStudent96

Should i attempt a new credit card for gas until i get my first paycheck?
I just started a new job and it is a bit of a commute from my house. I need to pay for gas in order to get there and I don't want to use my current credit card.

First, Do you think you'll qualify?

Depending on your credit score, you may or may not qualify.  You didn't mention what your credit looks like at the moment.  If your score is above 650 and you are current on all accounts with no late payments in the last year and your utilization is below 30% then by all means apply for a new gas card.  If you don't meet that basic cryteria, then wait until you do. 

Waiting for your first paycheck will make no difference. Credit scores do not care where your income comes from or weather you even have a job as long as your bills get paid on time.  

mindjazz

As EddyTX said, your credit score will determine a great deal. With fuel cards, you need to also look at their prices.  Some fuel prices are over inflated so while you may be getting a discount; you maybe paying more firfuel overall.

There are credit cards which offer anywhere from 3% to 5% that I've seen. Chase Freedom at 5% is in a rotation. Exxon/Mobil Smart Card offers 6 cents off per gallon. Many grocery chains with fuel stations have cards and offers. 

Yes!

Absolutely. My gas credit card gives me 5% cash back at gas stations and trust me that adds up! I've saved hundreds already. 

mindjazz

Okay. What station? If you're going to give advice, you need to do so in more detail.