Question

fish14121

Should I ask TranUnion to correct my credit card balance to (-$61)?
First post, Hello everybody!

My TransUnion report shows that I have a $61 balance on my only credit card, BOA secured, $300 limit. I am a student on F1 visa, I am from Taiwan.

I pay in full each month and accidentally overpaid in September so the balance should be (-$61), I have a credit of $61 to spend through to get to a Zero balance.

I ask because my score on Credit Karma went from 728 down to 722 and my official TransUnion report shows a $61 balance. I assume +$61 because my Credit Karma score went down.

Is overpayment a way to decrease you credit score? I hope not. I really don't want a negative mark on my very first card in the first six months. My boyfriend is pretty good with credit but he has no idea on this issue. I have never had credit before in any country so I am new to this. Should I file a dispute with TransUnion and tell them I overpaid? BOA is very difficult to pay in full each month with automatic setup :(

Thank you for any help! :)

61 dollars on a 300 limit is ~20% utlization so it is not all tht bad. A change of 6 points in credit score at that level is also not bad. You could try to get them to change it but it will in general not help all that much.

What you do need to figure out is how to pay what you owe -- you shoudl be getting a credit card statemen 20+ days before it is due and youc an pay your bill.  Call BoA and see how you can set up your payments correctly or if they really really cannot do that then manually log in to your account every time you get your statement and pay your bill in full.