Question

Bpetrucz

should I apply for an unsecured card after divorce and short sale
Divorce and short sale last year. I have a secured Cap One card for six months, a small student loan, a joint car loan with my ex who has posession of car and makes the payments, just paid off another car, had a negative removed from credit report. I have a 640 score, should I apply for a unsecured card or a store card ? i havent missed or been late on any payments in 24 months. Will this help my score or should I wait for 6 more months ?

Most Helpful Response

You should do a little "Mining"

I believe that you are a good canidate for a little "Credit Mining".  Credit mining is where you can generate credit offers that are "Pre-approved" with a much lower chance of denial.  

Use credit sites like CK or others like mint.com, your bank or even the Credit Reporting Agency sites. Sites that already have your personal info. Browse the credit card offers on the sites. look at the details of the accounts etc. as if you were going to apply for them. Then stop just short of actually appling.  Since Credit Card companies pay these sites for generating leads, they will take that "lead" and see if they can pre-qualfy you.  If they can, they will mail you an offer for a new card. Often with better rates and terms than what was offered on the websites.  Do this with 2 or 3 cards and it will create what I call a "Micro-burst" of offers.  The offers will ususally start arriving in the mail within a week. Take your time and don't take the first offer that comes in. Wait a couple of weeks then choose the best offer for you.  (this also sometimes works for Auto and personal loan)  Since they have made the investment in pre-qualifing you, chances of denial are far lower.  

I do this and I have yet to be denied for any account I have applied for.  My last offer was for 0% for 24 months.