Question

rycban123

Should I apply for a credit card?
I am 20yrs old and have NO credit history of any kind. I'm in the processes of moving and credit is becoming an issue for me for the first time. I don't know if I should wait to get an apartment before applying in case I'm denied or if I should just apply now. I want to do the most responsible thing, but I HAVE to move asap... I don't have time to build credit first. Any advice or suggestions on how I could/should handle this would be greatly appreciated.

Most Helpful Response

You can get a secured credit card that does not check your credit. You will have to put up a deposit to get the card. As much as $300-$500 depending on several things. Be sure the card reports to all three companies.

Do a Google search for 'credit cards for no credit'

Also try for an AMEX card

Along with the secured credit card, try applying for an AMERICAN EXPRESS charge card (Green card). As you are new to credit, one more enquiry isn't going to hurt much. Charge cards have to be paid in full every month, but they do the job of getting you onto credit files. Also, you won't be tied up with a small credit limit.