Question

PrimeAlpha

Should I Apply for a Chase Sapphire Card?
I was wondering if I should apply for the Chase Sapphire Card with my current credit score? My CK score from TU is 659 and my EQ is 649. Not sure what my FICO scores are but I'm guessing they're lower than my Vantage Score counterparts. Anyway, I have 5 total credit cards: 2 QuicksilverOne cards from Capital One ($850 and $1750), 1 VentureOne card from Capital One ($6,000), 1 Barclaycard ($1,400), and 1 Chase Freedom card ($2,000). I pay all of them on time every month and pay substantially more than the minimum. CK says my Approval Odds for the Chase Sapphire are "Good" but I'm skeptical. I don't wanna apply, get declined and have a hit on my credit score.

On the bright side, one of my QuicksilverOne cards was just increased from $750 to $1750 two days ago. My VentureOne card also got an increase from $3000 to $6000 two days ago. Should I wait until the increases hit my credit report first so my credit utilization ratio goes up before I take this chance on the Chase Sapphire or just go for it?!

Most Helpful Response

I advise you to check the preapproval on the Chase website, it is usually pretty accurate.

Are those 5 cards you have opened with-in last 24 months? Chase do have new~ish 5/24 rule, 5 or more credit card account opened in last 24 months would be automatically declined, but as with anything else about credit/credit cards? There always some very small exceptions, tho some do have luck obtaining a Chase card even they have opened 5/24, I wouldn't chance it, some of those people were pre-qualified at local branch.

-

You probably should consider combining those two QS1 cards and request a product change it to QS for no annual fees.