Question

tyg0rs

Shared accounts - bankruptcy may be filed
This question was not answered, so I am trying for myself and the person who asked -

"I share an account with my mother is she files for bankruptcy how does that affect my credit/score"

I share two accounts with my mom, which she told me that she canceled. Apparently she did not cancel me off her credit cards. She may file bankruptcy and will this affect me in any way? I just had my personal record be free of bankruptcy (due to medical reasons).

What do I do? I don't have those credit cards.

Most Helpful Response

This is something best discussed with the bankruptcy lawyer who will be the best advice on how to handle this situation.  I hope you and your mother are in the same town so you could discuss this together.  Or have her have the attorney contact you. 

That you shared accounts WILL affect your credit rating on those accounts for a total of 7 years past the date of last activity because you shared them, and it could be up to 10 years due to the bankruptcy.  That's why I suggest YOU get in on the consultation for the bankruptcy because the attorney would know more of the proper procedures to follow to minimize impact on your credit.

Hope this helps.