Question

Frank1630

Settling with a debt collector
I have been making payments to a debt collection agency for a few years now. I've paid $7000 into a $17000 account but they're saying due to interest I still owe at least another $12000 to pay it in full. I have the money to settle completely but my understanding is that they pay 7¢ on the dollar to buy my bad debt, so they've made their money back, plus $5500 at this point.

How do I go about negotiating this? Does anyone have any ideas?

Most Helpful Response

Write to them and tell them that you want to settle. Make an offer, a low offer as they will probably make a counter offer. Keep trying and keep playing the game. Make ABSOLUTELY sure that you have a settlement offer in WRITING before paying. Do some reading about "collection accounts settling for less" as you might find some more info. Basically though, negotiating with a debt collector isn't any different than negotiating with a car salesman or any other type of person selling something. Watch some episodes of Pawn Stars or American Pickers, or pick up a book on negotiating, I am sure that there are websites out there designated to help people learn to negotiate as well. If it were me, I would offer a $3000 settlement first, then go from there.

Frank1630

Thank you for the insight and the info.  Does the fact that I'm already in a payment plan with them weaken my position?  In other words, if they outright refuse to settle, what would be my recourse?

Already being in a payment plan does weaken your position. Since they already have a steady stream of money coming from you they may refuse to settle. This is where you will have to be creative and take gambles. I don't want to advise you anything here and am not recommending what I would consider doing as it could cause you headaches if it doesn't work. If I was in this position, I might consider telling them I am done with the payment plan, I am moving out of the country for a while, I would offer a lump sum, tell them to settle for it or get nothing and then play it from there. Of course they may take you to court then if you quit paying, but would that even cause much more money with them than you owe now? Probably not much. Also read up on the FDCPA (fair debt collection practices act), maybe you can get them on something there.