Question

Milothedog1

Settled Tax liens
Ive settled with an offer and comprise last year. Can I have it removed from my score ?

Most Helpful Response

Since you mentioned Offer in Compromise, you're likely referring to a Federal Tax Lien: if you've settled the debt and they've released the lien, look into Fresh Start; simply file form 12277 and request it to be withdrawn: "Benefit to taxpayer" is fine in this instance.  

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f12277.pdf

If it's a state lien, you'll have to research the individual state in question as they're all different; unfortunately most states are far more difficult to work with than the IRS these days.

I actually JUST had this done less than a month ago.  I live in South Carolina and was obsessively researching tax liens one night (of many many nights), and finally ran across something in the SC Code of Laws that detailed that the Department of Revenue can EXPUNGE a satisfied tax lien at the taxpayer's request.  So, I called the SC Dept of Revenue and within 10 minutes of citing this law, the expungement was in process.  They sent me a letter of expungement, and I am waiting for it to be removed from the public record.  The Register of Deeds where the lien was filed is going to send me an official document stating it has been removed so I can send to the 3 CRB's (along with a filed dispute) and hopefully it will be taken off my report within 30 days.  So, check your state laws for anything regarding taxes and/or tax liens.  You may get a lucky break like I did.  Hope this helps.

If you had taken the time to read the articles on this site to gain a good understanding of how credit works, you would know that a paid tax lien does not drop off the credit report the instant it is paid but remains a part of one's credit history for 7 years, THEN it drops off.