Question

Adnezy1988

Settled a debt for a lower amount, Report shows balance.
I had a account in collection and wanted to pay it off, so I contacted the collector and was offered to have the account settled at a lower amount which I agreed upon, original amount was 1200 and I settled at 700. I check my report and it shows that the account has been Closed but there is a 500 balance remaining.

Can someone please tell me what to do? I figured this balance would show 0 after I paid, can they go after me for the remaining balance? The law firm also mailed a letter of satisfaction for judgment to the court, and I got a letter the account was closed.

Also, by me accepting to pay and all, did I reset my SOL ? Last payment on the account was in 2010, and when I checked my score it shows as last payment 2016...so did I just screw myself and reset the SOL?

File a dispute with the credit reporting agencies that are showing the incorrect balance and attach a copy of the settlement letter. That should get the item updated correctly.

Adnezy1988

Should I call them up first? 

I am still waiting for the "Warrants of Satisfaction" Letters from the court, I have a letter from the Collections agency that states the account is settled and closed.