Question

a1jack7

setting a credit card limit
How do I set a credit limit so that I don't get an increase to a higher limit? I want to stay within a certain range so that I don't over spend. With each increase I'm tempted to spend more than I need and I don't need to get in debt just because my score incresed.

Need to develop a bit of self-discipline to handle this.  You certainly do not want to deny the credit you have earned by showing responsible money handling.  My credit union has automatically increased my credit limit by $3000 twice, giving me a total credit limit of over $16,000.  I'm at just over $2000 and working to pay that off.  Not liking continuing debt is a good thing, so strive to pay off each credit card bill when it comes in.  That would require that you set a maximum amount you would spend every month and stick to it, just like you would with cash.  If something major comes up, you would have the available credit to handle it, but work on paying it off as quickly as possible. It takes a bit of thought and planning  to keep finances in line, but you can do it.