Question

jakewill05

Selling my house and consolidating
I have about $125,000 equity in my house and about $40,000 in debt between 2 car payments and 14 student loans totaling about $1,000 in payments each month. The student loans are between 5-10 years old and the cars are a each a couple years old.
If I sell my house, should I pay off all my debt and use the rest as a down on a new house or should I just put it all down on a new house and keep my other debt?

Option C involves cocaine and hookers, but that never ends well...

Most Helpful Response

I would double check with a tax person before making a choice.  You do not have to claim earned (difference between buy and sell upto 250k) money on a house sale for a one time down grade in house (old rules) but could only do that once.  Otherwise they expect that all monies will go into the new home, so double check on that so that you do not lose that advantage for retirerment.  If the one time rule is not there anymore, then I would use it to pay at least any high interest rate loans.  If they are near similar interest rates to your mortgage, I would dump most back into the new home if you can afford all the payments comfortably. This lowers your monthly house note, and you pay off more of the debt sooner, espicially with the car loans, no sense paying for a car for 15 to 30 years in your house note unless it is high interest.  The school loans should be a pretty low interest rate also, but compare them and see.

jakewill05

Thanks. There's not any tax consequense on the sale of the house. My thoughts on the rest are pretty much on point with what you were saying.

Nomadre

One other thought is that i do not know if you can claim interest on school loans for taxes. If not then it might be worth looking into rolling those over into your new home loan.  School loans are typically long term, so if you can save a touch on interest and be able to increat your tax writeoff then might be worth it with the school loans.