Question

Cour04tney

Secured Credit Card Question
I opened a secured credit card account, the limit was $300 and my current balance is $250 with a minimum of $50 ( I didnt know using a high percent of the balance was frownded upon, I thought you just simply made on time payments and your score would sky rocket.) However, Credit karma is showing this credit card having a balance of $388? Im confused and it said last reported date Was July. Is this a problem I get with the cc company with or credit karma?

Most Helpful Response

Did you figure in the interest rate, which is usually high with secured cards?  If you are not paying the balance due every months, you are likely being charged interest and (since the total exceeds the credit limit on your card) an "over limit" fee.

Your best option is getting this card balance paid in full ASAP, do not charge anything until it is paid and then, keep the charges below 20% which you will pay each month (the amount due shown on statement).  After you do this, your credit score will improve, often quickly, and you'll be on your way to getting a regular credit card.