Question

ConcreteDruid

Second mortgage from foreclosure still reporting on credit!
I purchased a home in 2006, using a first and second mortgage (80/20). I hit a hard time financially and after wiping out my savings and 401k in an attempt to pay the mortgage, I ended up moving out and letting the bank have it. The official Lis Pendens (foreclosure) was filed in 2009.

Since then, my credit report shows the first mortgage marked as foreclosed, but the second mortgage has continued to report delinquent each month. Since the second mortgage was used as purchase money, shouldn't it have been written off as foreclosed at the same time as the first?

What can I do to fix this? It's killing my credit. It's been 6 years since I left that place and have since gotten back on my feet financially, but I feel stuck! I really need a bigger car for my new family. I've been paying $170/biweekly for an '03 Chevy Blazer, which will be paid off in 2015, but the interest I've paid on this thing makes me sick!

Please help!

Most Helpful Response

They can report a balance on the second mortgage if they did not get enough money from the sale of the property to cover the second mortgage.  This account will fall off your report around 2016.  You can write to the bureaus and ask for verification, if you are lucky it may come off.  You need to improve your overall credit health so you won't have to pay outrageous interest fees.  Visit www.credit.about.com and start reading on how to do that.  Best of luck!