Question

Bobbylynn21

Score was 680 then got a credit card. Down 80 points paid off up 2 points. What do I do?
My score was a 680 then I got a vs credit card it make it go down 80 points. I paid the card off ASAP. Then it only went up 2 points. Should I cancel the card then my score will go back up some more?

The only thing cancelling will do is lower your available credit and, if you have other cards, increase your utilization, which hurts.

Though, if you have many other cards, then it probably reduced your average credit history age.

Recommendations can be contradictory.  I apparently am hurt by some amount.  Probably small, because my average credit age is only 7 years 11 months.  And only 13 accounts (closed and open).  And 2-3 inquiries over the last 2 years (CC, looked at a car and the dealership checked if I was an authentic possibility before test drive, changed cell phone companies).

But, if I applied for several more accounts, to help the only 13 accounts, my average age would go down, and my inquiry count would go up.