Question

msgray

Score is Broken
I know the biggest thing holding my score down was 70% card utilization. I paid all of my cards down to 10% utilization. When the updates started coming in from the creditors I saw with a lot of relief the scores also went up. I know my debt to income is good. Payment history is good. I have been tracking my score for a longtime. So please none of the canned answers about the big secret reporting formula.

Anyhoo....

The TU score did just as expected it gradually went up to 762 after I paid my cards down. The Equifax score was at 735 but it still showed 17% utilization. I patiently waited for the update. It finally came in at 9% utilization but the score dropped 22 points!

It should've gone up 22 points instead of dropped....now both reports have the same information but one is at 762 and the other 719...

What gives?

Goes to show the differances

Equifax wieghts a 20% utilization as perfect, TU doesn't. the drop in your score reflects the drop in your utilization.  I've seen the same thing happen on my report when I've paid cards off.  It will probably bounce back soon enough. I wouldn't worry to much.