Question

Maligator0311

Saw a post on Facebook called "Don't pay them a DIME!" Seemed to have info from Credit Karma. True?
Saw a post on Facebook with a screenshot of an answer to a question entitled "Don't pay them a DIME!" Is the information contained in it true? It basically stated that once an account is sent to a collection agency you are no longer obligated to pay it and can dispute the negative remark on your report with the reason being "contract was canceled" and get it removed. Is this true?

Most Helpful Response

IT WORKS!

I have disputed 6 accounts on each of the credit bureaus websites and it worked. They were all deleted. This doesn't work for all types of debts, just those that were sold to collection agencies from the original creditor. I cleared over $1500 worth of debt from my report and my score has already jumped up almost 30 points in the 2 weeks after I did it!

What option do you choose when disputing

I don't see contract was canceled anywhere. Can anyone help me?

It works!! It Really works!!

I was spectical about it at first but i said what the hell and gave it a try.  I disputed 5 accounts just on my transunion....30 days later my total debt went down almost $5,000 and my score has gone up 25 points.  I can't believe how easy it was to get it done but it work and I am amazed by it.  Take the time to read this post and just give it a try.  You will so amazed by the outcome especially if you have been working to build your credit up.

That is pretty much nonsense. If that was truly the case, there would not be such extensive discussion on how to remove collections. Maybe a rare case something like this may work, if the original creditor didn't have you sign any agreements, but that would be extremely rare as everytime you apply for credit you sign to agree to collection activity.

I tried it

I saw the same post and tried it 2 weeks ago. I got my Experian report back with the accounts I disputed deleted. They are slower on my Trans Union and Equifax accounts but I got a few updates showing the deletes and my score went up.

Disputing Items

To those who have disputed and gotten items removed, did you do the dispute in writing or online? If online did you dispute on all 3 credit bureaus websites or Credit Karma?