Question

DenverJay

Same debt listed by two different firms?
I have a debt on my report that is listed both by the original creditor and by the firm to which the debt was sold. I am repaying the debt to the collection company in small, monthly payments and have two years of those promt payments to them. Will the credit bureau remove the original debt from my report? Thanks! Love this site

Most Helpful Response

Sorry, but the Fair Credit Reporting Act (a federal regulation) requires that all accounts be reported.  What you are seeing on your report is the original creditor and the collection agency who bought the account.  This is perfectly legal.  A note on the original creditor's post with the credit bureau likely has a date and then "sold or transferred" noted.  This account will disappear in 7 years.

Thanks that's good to know

How many times can it be sold and listed on your  credit report? I have one that is listed 4 times!