Question

Posted in Retirement

CaliNurse

Rolling over retirement accounts
I do not want to leave my retirement accounts (401k and pension) in the current employer established accounts. I have left this employer and have requested a payout. How do I open retirement accounts that minimize penalty?

Seek out a Financial Advisor, 

Maybe where you Bank, 

BUT for the 401k, BEFORE you Roll it over somewhere  YOU NEED TO BE 100% Sure where it is going and you want it rolled over there. 

Pensions can not be Rolled over.  You would need to talk to your old HR Dept as to what options you have with the Pension. 

I think you have 45 or 60 days to rollover a 401k, so you won't be penalized as a cash out from the IRS. Please find a good financial advisor to assist you.  I think you can roll over your pension into a 401k.