Question

fishmanvinny

reposession debt
I had my car reposessed about 2 years ago. The car was sold at auction. I was sent a check in the mail a few weeks later. If I was given money back that must mean that the car sold for more than I owed right? Why does my credit report show that I still owe money on that car? I don't understand.

You need to call the loan company or..

Dispute the account through any of the 3 credit reporting agencies. You will need to pull your actual credit reports, though, to verify that they are on all of them. Go to www.annualcreditreport.com. FREE credit reports, once every 12 months. From what I could find, you are correct in the fact that since you received a check (hopefully from your lender and not from the auction directly), the car did sell for more than the amount owed. You should owe nothing.