Question

June221974

Repairing your credit history
the x was to pay the credit cards but didn't. Plus he was to take my name off and didn
t. Now I am paying what I can on a recovery note. How do I repair my credit in case I would need to get a loan. Like a car incase something would happen. Is bankruptsy be to my advantage.

Bankruptcy is usually the worst idea.  If your ex violated the divorce decree, you could haul him back into court (talk to your divorce attorney about that).  The creditors won't care if you're divorced or not, they only care that you are on the loans/cards/notes and if they can get you to pay, then all the better for them.  You can contact the credit card holders and ask that the card(s) be closed as far as your name goes and that will prevent future issues.  Before you finish re-paying any old notes/bills, get in writing from the creditors that they agree to delete the accounts from your credit report once you've paid them off.  Get it in writing.  That way, once paid it is gone forever, otherwise they can legally report the accounts for 7 years from date you finish paying them off.  Best of luck!