Question

webdebt

removing myself as an authorized credit card user
My husband's credit score and my score have suffered lately due to increased credit card debt. I've noticed that the we both carry the same amount of debt because the debt holding cards are in both of our names, we are authorized users on each other's cards. Should we remove one another as authorized users? We both have empty credit cards that belong to only one of use. It just so happens that the debt is spread across 3 cards that we both have our name on. I want to apply for a new credit card to get a new balance transfer offer. My 2 empty credit cards have no offers. I need about $8000 of credit though. I'm worried that if I apply, I will only get $3000 or something like that. WIll removing myself as an authorized user on a BOA credit card that is near the max of its credit limit help or hurt my situation??

Most Helpful Response

It would depend on the age of the account that you want to remove yourself from, if the account is a really old one and significantly factors into your average age of accounts, then you would be dinged for removing that account from your profile as you would lose average account age, however the gain that you would get from the reduced utilization should probably overcome the loss for account age. If the account you want to remove yourself from does not have any significant value toward your average age of accounts, the you should see nothing but gain when it comes to point changes. You probably would be best to remove yourself, worst case if something terrible happens due to it, add yourself back on and you will be back where you were next time the card reports on your credit profile.