Question

Stacy818

Removing myself as a signer on a high balance card hurting my score?
I was a signer on my fiance's credit card, which has a $10k balance, it seems to have brought my credit score down a lot. He has never missed a payment and always paid before the due date. I had him remove me as a signer, but now I am wondering if that was the right decision?

You have reduced your overall credit

By removing the $10k from your available credit you reduced your credit line. Now instead of having, say...$15k available credit, you have $5k. The credit bureau's see that as a negative, thus your score goes down. It will hurt your score even more if you owe anything. If you have a loan of any sort that's not paid off it will show that you are using more of your available credit, which is also a negative and will lower your score.