Question

sweetcheeks10

Removing bad credit from broken lease
Two years ago I broke my apartment lease (6months early) due to purchasing a home. The apartment complex sold my account to a collection agency so now it doesnt show up as a broken lease but rather like an unpaid credit account. On top of that the complex is charging me the full six months rent even though the apartment was re-leased to the new tenant with in one month. My monthly rent was only $680 per month x 6 months= $4080.....yet they entered $8359 on my credit report. Does anyone know if this is legal or if there is any way for me to fight this? I'm from Texas so dont know if that makes a difference when it comes to the law and our legal rights.

Most Helpful Response

If you still have a copy of your lease, look it over very, very carefully to see if the early termination clause matches what they are doing.  Past due amounts do increase, especially when turned over to collections.  Usually, they have the right to add on interest, court costs, collection fees, etc. and that amount can grow daily.  It will take 7 & 1/2 years for this to come off your report.  I am also in Texas, and I know that my lease has a very hefty penalty for early termination; I think they demand the full amount of rent for the reaminder of the lease term.