Question

MsLaReux

Removing a debt that is less than $500
I wanted to ask the community a question. I have a debt that is $270. Can I just pay it in full and have it taken off my report or is there steps I have to take? This was back in 2011 I believe and I would like it off so my credit standings will be good. Its for a utility company, so should I just call them and pay them or should I do something else? This is my first time dealing with my credit so I don't know really what to do.

Please read the articles here so you can learn how to negotiate a 'pay for delete' agreement.  You have to do this in writing and keep copies of all communications so you have proof of what was said by both parties.  You won't have proof with phone calls.  The utility company does not HAVE to agree to a 'pay for delete' arrangement, but it doesn't hurt to try.