Question

lifeinhand

Remove paid collection record
I forgot to leave a forwarding address before I moved out. Now the apartment place my debt in collection agency.
The move out date was the end of May, I found out the collection record on August, (They have my email address and phone number, but did not contact me before. ) So I called the apartment and clear the amount that I own. The Apartment manager said I need to send a check to them (the apartment), so I did.

BUT, now I found the collection record has not changed. What should I do now ?
What is the first step to deal with this situation. Thank you guys so much!

Most Helpful Response

If you paid the account off they are required by law to mark the balance as zero. They are not required to remove the account, just mark it as paid. Payments don't reflect on the credit bureaus immediately, it can take a little time to update. If some time does go by and it has not updated to a zero balance then dispute it with the credit bureaus because it is incorrect information and if you are lucky the account will get deleted. If the balance updates to zero but the account remains on your reports, send the company that you paid the debt to a "goodwill letter" asking for them to be kind and remove the account from your reports. Do some research on how to write a "goodwill letter".

lifeinhand

Thank you for your response !