Question

czechicequeen

Removal of name off credit card account
I recently signed up for credit karma after going through a really bad time 7 years post divorce. I was left with several debts that became delinquent after my ex took out joint lines and I did not know. I did unfortunately have to settle several but I worked 2 jobs and got it done. It has been 1.5 years since I paid off the balances that were delinquent. After signing up on credit karma I found out that I was still and active "authorized user" on one of my ex husband's credit cards. I was not listed as responsible but it was showing on my credit report. I called Chase and had my name removed which legally he should have done in December of 2006. I was told that since the account was not being closed I was only being removed from the account it would not effect my credit score. Now I'm worried that it will. My husband and I are trying desperately to get a mortgage and the last thing I need is for this to harm me. I've worked really hard and in 2 years brought my score from literally rock bottom to 643. Anyone out there know if removing my name from the account will effect my credit score? Thanks much!

Congratulations to you for working so hard to get out of a bad situation. It's very good that you were able to remove your name from that card, and yes it should affect your credit to be off that card.

How it will affect it is another matter. If the card is in good standing, it's possible that having your name removed will actually hurt your score (though it was still the right thing for you to do). If your ex was mismanaging the card and it had overdue payments or excess utilization, then taking your name off should help your score.

Good luck.