Question

2Banjos4Books

Removal of duplicate collections via paying the original creditor, and then disputing the second.
I have one collection account that appears twice on my credit report, and from my understanding that is illegal. Is it possible attempt a Pay for delete with the original creditor, and then send a letter of dispute to either the second company or the three credit bureaus? My goal is to have remove both accounts removed from my credit report. The original debt is sourced directly from a university( it is NOT a loan) and is under $5000. Any suggestions for the best possible outcome?

Simply sneaking in a payment to the original holder of the account is not enough to get the collections removed, as the only thing the original holder of the account is obligated to do is to tell the collection company to mark the account as paid with a $0 balance (so the collection account could still legally remain). What you want to do is to get the original account holder to agree to pull the debt back from the collection company in exchange for your payment. As far as the duplicate accounts, I would dispute that and at least one will be removed. Do some reading about "pay for delete agreements"