Question

Wilkie1234

Reliability of creditkarma's credit card recommendations
Creditkarma says my chances of getting a particular credit card are "very good" but though I am paying down my debt, my credit card utilization rating isn't good. I would hate to incur a ding on my score with a hard pull- how heavily can one rely on Credit Karma's recommendations?

Most Helpful Response

Recommended cards

I tried one that Credit Karma said my chances were "very good" and was declined.  So I lost even more points.  I wouldn't go with their recommendations.  

Stop adding to the problem

Then your company should not recommend credit cards and give people a "good" or "very good" chance of getting approved. Just like many others, based on your recommendation, I just applied for a card and was declined. That was very unnecessary and wouldn't have happened had you not recommended that I apply for it. So instead of helping our scores as you've set out to do, you are actually making our scores worse with your false recommendations.

MS

I am grateful reading these comments. Credit Karma just lost credibility with me. They should NOT recommend consolidating 2 credit cards on to one generically. Obviously that's what they do. Now I question whether or not my credit rating is actually accurate via them.

Hi Wilkie1234,

We use historical approval data to determine the likelihood of approval for a given card. We compare your credit profile to that of other members who have applied for the same card. However, the lender's requirements can change at any time and we cannot guarantee approval for any cards. 

Chinawhite2