refusing to take my payment, how can i fight this?
I had signed up for a Dell credit card back in 2006, times got rough and I defualted on the card and it was charged off... In 2008 I had pulled my credit report and paid off all of my bad debt, dell was changing banks I believe and was not listed on my report... In 2010 I applied for a mortgage and noticed I had a WEBBANK, aka dell, on my report. I contacted them to settle the debt but they said they transferred my debt and I had to contact them to pay it (notice this was not sold so they kept repoting under WEBBANK) After 2 months of calling around I find out that the company they transferred my debt to went bankrupt so I had to wait for the debt to come back to Dell and be transferred to another collectiong agency before I could pay it. Needless to say I finally was able to pay the debt in Feb 2012... How can I fight this? on my credit report, there is no history for Transunion, equifax has it as a charge off from 2007 - FEB when I paid it, Experian it kept reporting as bad debt until Sept 2012...

Most Helpful Response

dispute chargeoff with credit bureau

Your question is very confusing, because you start by saying they won't take your payment, then say you paid it in 2/2012.

If the problem is with the way it shows up on your credit report at one or more of the credit bureaus, then you should file a dispute with those credit bureaus.  I presume you have current credit reports, otherwise you either have to get a credit report from, or if you're not eligible to get a free report, you may have to pay for a current credit report.

Perhaps you've already gone through the dispute process but failed to get any satisfaction.  You may find the credit bureau is unwilling to remove the item, because it's actually accurate that the charge off occurred even though you subsequently paid it.  You can have an explanation added to the item, which probably isn't going to do anything for your credit score but will show up on your credit report, for what it's worth.

One suggestion that is sometimes made is, before you pay off an item, you should get an agreement (in writing) from the creditor to remove the chargeoff, because after you pay it off, you no longer have any leverage to get them to remove it.

The good news is that the chargeoff is reported as having occurred in February 2007 and should automatically be removed in 7 years, less than 2 years from now.