Question

Appollo88

Reduce late payments or Reduce average lenght of credit
I have a very old student loan which is basically paid off(I have a $1 in it). It is very old(22 years) and helps my average length of credit(8 years 7 months). However, it is half(4) of my late payments. If I pay it off and it is removed, my late payment percentage will rise to about 98% from 95%.

Should I pay that last $1?

Does student loans automatically gets removed from your credit reports once it's paid, or it's like any other types of credit accounts that will remain on your credit report for next 7~10 years? If it's not removed whenever it's paid? Then it makes no difference what yo do, as the late payment(s) still would be there... In FICO score models, they uses both your open and closed accounts for your age/average age of credit, so when you closing a account, it wouldn't necessarily affect your age/average age of credit for next 7~10 years or until whenever it's removed from your credit reports.

Pay it.  Late payments are damaging to your credit score.  Average age is less important and the accounts will age.  If you haven't already nread the articles on this site,please do, since the informatioin will help for the restof your life.