Question

mdesatnick

"Recovery Agent" calling
I started receiving phone calls from a "Recovery Agent". They claim to represent a medical debt from almost 10 years ago. There is nothing related to this debt on my credit report. Should I be concerned that they can affect my credit rating? Do they still have any power after this long? I requested documentation to support their claim. They said it could take 30 days so I thought I would ask around. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ten years exceeds the Statute of Limitations for collections in the majority of states.  If they have just called you, you have the right to have them send you proof of the debt in writing. While you're waiting for it check all three credit reports.  Go to annualcreditreport.com to get copies, and dispute (preferably in writing and retaining a copy for your  records) all errors you find with the credit bureau reporting same.

Google "Statute of Limitations for collections" to see what it is in your state.  If (as I suspect) the SOL has expired, the collector cannot attempt to collect on this debt.

Please review the articles on this site so you can better learn how credit works.  The more knowledge you acquire, the better.