Question

Brymip

Recently had 3 C.C.'s fall off my C.R. (after 7-year mark) yet remarkably my scores dropped?
In addition, there was no other occurrences and in fact there hasn't been any late payments, high utilization, added accounts, to negatively impact things. Anyone have a plausible explanation? I'm completely baffled and discouraged!

Couple of possibilities, if those accounts were your oldest, tho those were 7 years old when removed but the open date are whole lot older, by them no longer on your report? Your age of credit is greatly reduced.

-

Other, it's could be bit confusing, because it hasn't been talk about it much, if ever on here and I am not very good in explaining things so bear with me... You could be "rebucketed", the official term I think is "scorecard". They lump people who has similar profiles together in the same scorecard, depends on score model, it might have anywhere between 12~18 different scorecards, generally, 4~6 buckets for different types of baddies, 8~12 buckets for clean profiles, varieties factors like length of credit, number/type of accounts, how old was your newest account...ect.

-

Each scorecard have slightly difference in calculating score, and ceiling of how high your score could reach. One little inquiry counts differently whether if you are in lowest scorecard (bankruptcy) or in scorecards with no baddies. Since score is being calculated from scratch each time? So Your score dropped when the baddies fall off "could" due to being rebucketed, especially if you quit a bit of credit actives in last 12 months or so. One new account might drop 5 points in the bucket you were in, but now you are in clean/different/higher buckets? The same new account might drop 15 points.

-

The score drop will only be temporary, I Wouldn't be surprised at all, if you see your score takes big jump in next 3~4 months. Higher buckets might drop your score more but it also afford you to recover your score quicker and larger gains than lower buckets.

Start following your FICO scores.