Question

rexfromhell

recently contacted by a collection agency and have a question
Today I was contacted by a collection agency about a medical bill come to find out the doctor was billing an old address and it went to collections it clearly I was furious as I pay all bills on time being that the account was so new she told me it would not affect my credit because it was a new account as long as it was paid in full before April should I believe her? And should I get this in writing and also record our next phone call?

Debt Collector Contact

I received a call from a debt collector legal office claiming someone was on their way to serve me court papers for a debt I had with GE financial/Mervyns. An account that I'm 100 % sure I paid so many years ago. I got veru scared and made payment arrangements to pay for it. Gave them my credit card information for them to withdraw the money.
I don't see this account on my credit report. Should I have not given them anything? Have I been a victim of fraud? Please help!!

Is it a bill your are aware of?

If it's not on your Credit Report yet and If you know that the bill is legit, Then pay it and keep your report clean.

If you don't know the original creditor or anything about the account then you want to contest it.

Ask for a copy of the original bill and a written agreement that it will not be reported if paid in full and then go ahead and pay.