Question

ryjoph89

Recent balance alwasys shows zero- Paying to quickly after statement available?
I just pulled my report from Experian and for the 2 CC's I have I notice that it says "Recent balance $0 /paid as of 05/20/2016" and "Recent payment
amount $0" and in the balance history it says for almost every month "Apr 2016: $0 (account balance)/ Apr 29, 2016 (date payment received)/ $25 (scheduled payment amount)/ No data (Actual amount paid)" This shows up that way for about 15 months of history. Both CC's are in "Accounts in good standing" section.

Both of these cards I use all the time, and they always have a balance when the statement comes out. I wait until I have my statement available online then I pay in full. My only thinking is that maybe I'm paying it too quickly (ie. my statement end date is 6/18 with a balance of $487.88 and I went in looked at the PDF statement confirmed the balance then went in and scheduled payment of balance due of $487.88 which posted on 6/18) Am i just not allowing enough time for the CC company to report the balance on the statement? I like keeping my balance utilization % down when the statement comes out but it seems it's not even reporting a balance to experian.

Should I wait to schedule payments for a handful of days?

Most Helpful Response

Yes, wait a few days next month and see what happens. Hopefully that will work. Just remember though you only need one card to report a small balance (less than 10% of the credit line). It is always good to let one card report a small balance as many fico scoring systems will penalize you for not showing revolving activity for the month.

That was the problem!

So I checked on each card to figure out what the date or reporting was (which happen to be different for each agency) and indeed the CC company takes about 4 days to report the balance... So I waited to apply payment from the 19th to the 25th and it showed up correctly!  Of course it lowered my score a little as according to credit bureau I never use the card..but that quickly fixed itself when the CC company reported my payment later that month.

Thanks!